Friday, 26 September 2025

House Assarion

 

House Assarion

Words: “Blood and Glory”
Sigil: A one-headed, red-eyed black dragon on a blue field, symbolizing Norvax, the dread mount of their founder, Prince Baelon Assarion.
Seat: The fortress-citadel of Bloodstone, Isle of Bloodstone, Stepstones.
Ancestral Weapon: Bloodfyre, a Valyrian steel longsword passed through the generations of Assarion kings and princes.
Current Head: Prince Rhaemond Assarion, Prince of the Isles and Dragonlord of Bloodstone.


Origins

House Assarion is the first true cadet branch of House Targaryen, distinct from bastard-founded lines such as House Blackfyre. Its founder was Prince Baelon Targaryen, youngest son of King Viserys I Targaryen and Queen Aemma Arryn, and younger brother to Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen. Known in later chronicles as Baelon the Ashes or the Black Dragon, he fought bitterly during the Dance of the Dragons, serving as a commander of the Black faction.

After the war’s devastation and the loss of many dragons, Baelon forsook his Targaryen name, declaring that the bloodline must be renewed outside the politics of King’s Landing. He took the name Assarion, claiming descent and destiny “not from ashes, but from blood and glory.” With his dragon Norvax, he seized Bloodstone and much of the Stepstones, styling himself King of the Isles and the Narrow Sea, Lord Protector of the Stepstones and Paramount Ruler of the Disputed Lands.


Rule of the Isles

For over a century, the Assarions maintained a semi-independent kingdom across the Stepstones and parts of the Disputed Lands, building a realm upon trade, tribute, and war. Their court in Bloodstone was known for its mixture of Valyrian pageantry and seafaring austerity, their dragonlords ruling alongside pirate princes, mercenary captains, and merchant guilds.

Despite their independence, they preserved ties of kinship to House Targaryen, though rarely to the point of open alliance. Unlike their cousins, House Assarion never practiced strict incestuous marriage, though cousin-marriages were common to preserve the blood of Old Valyria.


Integration into the Empire

The independence of House Assarion ended during the reign of Emperor Richard I Baratheon, who expanded the Empire of Westeros into Western Essos. When Emperor Richard proposed an alliance between his sister, Princess Rosalia Baratheon, and Prince Rhaemond Assarion, the current King of the Isles, the match was sealed in both marriage and submission.

Rhaemond bent the knee at Bloodstone, and House Assarion was elevated within the Empire:

  • Rhaemond Assarion became Prince of the Isles and Bloodstone, and Governor of the Stepstones.

  • His younger brother, Prince Aegor Assarion, was named Prince of Viseryon and Governor of the Province of Baelon, seated in the great port city of Viseryon.

  • His second brother, Prince Viserys Assarion, became Prince of Tyrosh, governing the city under Imperial authority.

Thus House Assarion traded crowns for permanence, becoming one of the Empire’s great ruling dynasties.


Traditions and Culture

House Assarion embraced the sea-dragon culture, blending Valyrian dragonlord traditions with maritime dominance:

  • Dragonriders – The house retained dragons even after the Dance, with Norvax and later Bloodstorm and Stormfyre as their most famous mounts.

  • Naval Supremacy – They maintained the strongest fleets in the Narrow Sea until the Imperial Royal Fleet was established.

  • Bloodline Pride – Their motto Blood and Glory emphasizes their warrior heritage and Valyrian fireblood, often contrasted with Targaryen words of fire and blood.


Known Members

Historical

  • Prince Baelon “the Ashes” Assarion – founder, formerly Prince Baelon Targaryen, dragonlord of Norvax.

  • King Maelor Assarion – Baelon’s son, ruled the Isles in its height of independence.

Current (Imperial Era)

  • Prince Rhaemond Assarion – Head of House, Prince of the Isles and Bloodstone, Governor of Stepstones, dragonrider of Bloodstorm, husband to Princess Rosalia Baratheon.

  • Princess Rosalia Baratheon-Assarion – General of the Order of the Golden Sun, twin sister of Emperor Richard I, dragonrider of Rhaenyr.

  • Prince Aegor Assarion – Prince of Viseryon, Governor of Baelon.

  • Prince Viserys Assarion – Prince of Tyrosh, dragonrider of Stormfyre.

  • Princess Visaera Assarion – sister of Rhaemond, patroness of the Temples of Fire.


Genealogy (simplified, annotated)

King Viserys I Targaryen × Queen Aemma Arryn
Prince Baelon “the Ashes” Targaryen, later Baelon Assarion, dragonlord of Norvax
 → Founded House Assarion after the Dance of the Dragons

From Baelon descend the Kings of the Isles and Narrow Sea, ruling Bloodstone until Prince Rhaemond Assarion, who submitted to the Empire and married Princess Rosalia Baratheon. Their descendants unify Valyrian fireblood with the Baratheon line.


Genealogy of House Assarion

Here is the annotated genealogy chart of House Assarion, showing their lineage from King Viserys I Targaryen through Prince Baelon “the Ashes” Assarion down to the current generation:

Key Features of the Chart

  • Founding Line:

    • Begins with King Viserys I Targaryen and Queen Aemma Arryn.

    • Their son, Prince Baelon “the Ashes” Assarion, is marked as the founder of House Assarion, dragonlord of Norvax.

  • Line of Kings:

    • A placeholder branch represents the Kings of the Isles & Narrow Sea, who ruled for over a century.

  • Present Generation:

    • Prince Rhaemond Assarion (Dragonrider of Bloodstorm) and Princess Rosalia Baratheon (Dragonrider of Rhaenyr) are joined in marriage, cementing Assarion-Baratheon ties.

    • Their children — Lucaerys, Valerys, and Baesella Assarion — are shown as heirs of the Bloodstone line.

  • Siblings of Rhaemond:

    • Prince Aegor Assarion, Prince of Viseryon and Governor of Baelon.

    • Prince Viserys Assarion, Prince of Tyrosh and dragonrider of Stormfyre.

    • Princess Visaera Assarion, Lady of the Isles.

The Lineage of House Assarion

The First True Cadet Branch of House Targaryen


I. The Founder

Prince Baelon “the Ashes” Assarion (b. 108 AC – d. 161 AC)

  • Son of King Viserys I Targaryen and Queen Aemma Arryn.

  • Took the name Assarion after the Dance of the Dragons, rejecting Targaryen rule.

  • Dragonrider of Norvax, a great black dragon with crimson wings.

  • Founded House Assarion upon Bloodstone.

  • Styled himself King of the Isles and Narrow Sea, Lord Protector of the Stepstones, Paramount Ruler of the Disputed Lands.

  • Wives: Lady Daenora Velaryon (Valyrian descent) and Lady Myriah Rogare of Lys.

  • Children:

    • King Vaegon I Assarion (his heir)

    • Prince Norenys Assarion (spared line in Lys)

    • Princess Aelyra Assarion


II. The Kings of Bloodstone (House Assarion Monarchs)

1. King Vaegon I Assarion (r. 161–188 AC)

  • Consolidated control of the Stepstones after pirate wars.

  • Dragon: Vharox, scarlet-scaled beast.

  • Married Lady Alyssa of Volantis.

  • Children: King Daeron I Assarion.

2. King Daeron I “the Builder” Assarion (r. 188–212 AC)

  • Expanded Bloodstone’s citadel into the Fortress-Citadel of Bloodstone.

  • Dragon: Darkfyre (bronze and black).

  • Married cousin, Princess Aelyra Assarion.

  • Issue: King Maelor I Assarion, Prince Vaelys.

3. King Maelor I Assarion (r. 212–236 AC)

  • Defeated Tyroshi fleets, established Tyrosh as tributary.

  • Dragon: Skareth, grey-white dragon.

  • Married Lady Lythene of Myr.

  • Children: King Baelor I Assarion.

4. King Baelor I Assarion “the Red-Eye” (r. 236–262 AC)

  • Known for cruelty; warred against Lys for decades.

  • Sigil altered to bear a red dragon’s eye, hence nickname.

  • Dragon: Norvax the Younger, descendant of Baelon’s dragon.

  • Married twice, leaving two sons: King Rhaelys I and Prince Orys.

5. King Rhaelys I Assarion (r. 262–285 AC)

  • Stabilized rule, built the city of Viseryon as port capital.

  • Dragon: Emberflame, golden wings.

  • Married Lady Maerys of Lys.

  • Issue: King Vaelor II Assarion.

6. King Vaelor II Assarion (r. 285–310 AC)

  • Expanded into the Disputed Lands, making Myr a tributary.

  • Dragon: Stormfyre, later bonded to his descendant Prince Viserys Assarion.

  • Children: King Rhaemys I.

7. King Rhaemys I Assarion (r. 310–337 AC)

  • First Assarion king to style himself Paramount Ruler of the Disputed Lands.

  • Defeated a Triarchy resurgence.

  • Dragon: Bloodstorm, later bonded to King Rhaemond Assarion.

  • Children: King Baelor II Assarion.

8. King Baelor II Assarion (r. 337–362 AC)

  • Pious, encouraged septons in the Isles.

  • Dragon: None.

  • Children: King Daeron II.

9. King Daeron II Assarion (r. 362–388 AC)

  • Last truly independent King of the Isles.

  • Fostered trade with Pentos.

  • Dragon: Norvax III.

  • Married Lady Rhaenyra Rogare.

  • Children: King Rhaemond I Assarion.

10. King Rhaemond I Assarion (r. 388–402 AC)

  • Final independent monarch.

  • Swore fealty to Emperor Richard I Baratheon, ending Assarion kingship.

  • Created Prince of the Isles and Dragonlord of Bloodstone, sworn to the Empire.

  • Married Princess Rosalia Baratheon, twin of the Emperor.

  • Dragon: Bloodstorm.

  • Children: Lucaerys, Valerys, and Baesella Assarion.


III. The Current Generation

  • Prince Rhaemond Assarion – Prince of the Isles & Bloodstone, Governor of Stepstones, husband to Rosalia Baratheon. Dragonrider of Bloodstorm.

  • Princess Rosalia Baratheon – Co-Lord-General of the Order of the Golden Sun, Dragonrider of Rhaenyr.

  • Children:

    • Prince Lucaerys Assarion, heir to Bloodstone.

    • Prince Valerys Assarion, commander in Viseryon.

    • Princess Baesella Assarion, only daughter.

Siblings of Rhaemond:

  • Prince Aegor Assarion – Prince of Viseryon, Governor of Baelon.

  • Prince Viserys Assarion – Prince of Tyrosh, dragonrider of Stormfyre.

  • Princess Visaera Assarion – Lady of the Isles.


Structure of the Tapestry/Illustration

  1. Top LinePrince Baelon “the Ashes” Assarion, with a side banner explaining his break from House Targaryen and his dragon Norvax.

    • His sigil: black dragon with a red eye on blue.

    • His sword: Bloodfyre.

  2. Line of Kings of Bloodstone – each ruler from Vaegon I to Rhaemond I, with sigil variations, and dragons perched behind their portraits.

    • Each annotated with reign dates, dragon, deeds.

    • Examples:

      • Daeron I “the Builder” → citadel expansion, dragon Darkfyre.

      • Baelor I “the Red-Eye” → cruelty, change of sigil emphasis.

  3. Transition PointKing Rhaemond I Assarion kneeling before Emperor Richard I Baratheon, marking the shift from “Kings of Bloodstone” to “Princes of the Isles.”

  4. The Current Line

    • Prince Rhaemond Assarion and Princess Rosalia Baratheon with their children: Lucaerys, Valerys, Baesella.

    • His siblings: Prince Aegor (Viseryon), Prince Viserys (Tyrosh), Princess Visaera.

    • Each marked with dragonriders (Rhaemond → Bloodstorm, Viserys → Stormfyre).

  5. Side Panels

    • Heraldry Evolution: the sigil changes across reigns.

    • Ancestral Sword: Bloodfyre’s lineage and wielders.

    • Political Shift: from independent kings to Imperial vassals.


⚜️ Style of the Illustration

  • Parchment background with burnished gold borders.

  • Sigils in color, rulers in grayscale with highlighted dragon eyes.

  • Flowing vines and fire motifs around the names.

  • Marginalia of dragons circling the borders.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment